Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Follow Your Dreams, Go For Gold

When people tell you to follow your dreams, they should mean it. It's not like they are telling you some stupid cliche because they want you to be happy. They're telling you because at the bottom of every cliche is a truth. And the truth is, never stop doing what makes you happy. At the end of every day, all a person wants is happiness - at least that's what I want.

Lots of things make a person happy — money, family, a great job, friends, you name it. It's different for everyone, but when it comes to myself, I think I've finally figured out some key things that make me happy. The most recent? Horses.

Ivy
Photo Credit: Sarah Sellin-Eiler
It might sound childish, silly, or weird, but it's the truth. After spending countless hours on the back of a horse, weekends in cheap hotels, and winning boxes of ribbons I'll never know what to do with, quitting was probably not the best idea I ever had. I took a four year break and realized it was very silly, which is why I've picked it back up, and I won't be letting go for as long as I can. 

Riding horses isn't cheap, and it takes a lot of time, but so far in life I don't think I know of anything else that makes me happier. I'd rather go broke riding horses than seeing a therapist once a week for the rest of my life. It's an instant smile, a warm welcome, and a peaceful escape. I could never go on another vacation in my life and be totally happy just going to shows and being dirty all the time. 

That being said, I am still glad I have taken some time to try out new things. I enjoyed college, moved to California, and have tried many things in between. However, every time I realize I don't like something or I'm not happy, I compare it to my love of being an equestrian. That's generally when I realize "No, this just isn't for me".

Life is a funny journey and it's good to experience all kinds of different things. Living is how we find out what we like and don't like. One of the most important parts of finding those things is realizing that if we like it, to never let go, and if we don't, to wash it away like dirty dishes. That's the hard part.

Now I can say I have a horse, and am riding again. I smile easily. I am happy. 

I might go broke eventually, but I will always work towards doing the things I love. Everyone should follow their dreams. That's what leads to ultimate happiness. You might take detours, fall on your face a few times, or totally sh** the bed (excuse the expression), but at least you tried, and there is always something to be learned from that.

So folks, time to set your fear aside and go for gold. Whatever it is you quit or always wanted to try, do it! The only thing stopping you is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment