Friday, August 2, 2013

Stand Down Hummer-Lovers, Tesla is Changing the Way We Look at Cars

As many of you may already know, I am a big supporter of hybrid cars, so it should come as no surprise that I am here to share with you my new love, Tesla.

Photo: http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/04/01/tesla-model-s-side-small.jpg
Tesla is without a doubt the future of motor vehicles. So far, they have they created an all-electric sports car, sedan, and soon-to-be-released SUV with butterfly doors. For some reason, it still seems crazy that soon enough, the "stock" version of a car will have butterfly doors. Not many people will be able to afford it, but nonetheless it will still be there.

Just picture yourself: Business is going well so you decide it's time for a new car. You've ordered your brand new Tesla online, they deliver it right to your door, you walk outside to sign the final papers and grab the keys, turn on the engine...oh wait...I guess this time around you'll be turning on the eh...battery! How cool.

But who cares! Engine, battery, you just bought a car that is quiet, less-polluting, and beautiful. Congratulations.

Okay, back to the real world. You aren't quite at that point where you can afford the newest of luxury cars but you might as well continue to dream about it because you never know when lighting could strike.

Nevertheless, get ready everyone, this is happening, and it's awesome. If there are any of you Hummer-loving, gas-guzzling lunatics out there, you are quickly becoming an extinct breed. Nice knowing you.

I've lived in Los Angeles for almost exactly two years now, and although I drive a middle of the range Ford, I will never get over the car culture of this city, nor the insane amount of six-figure cars I drive alongside every single day. With the introduction of the luxury Tesla sedan in recent months, I've been watching them popping up just about everywhere I look. Made to compete with other luxury vehicles such as BMW and Mercedes, the Tesla cars are beautiful, smooth, and great eye candy.

Not to mention that Tesla is planning on installing enough "Superchargers" to cover 98 percent of the U.S. population and parts of Canada by 2015.  What's a Supercharger you ask? Simply put, it's the world's fastest charging station and will have the capability of charging your Tesla vehicle to 200 miles during 30 minutes of charge versus 22 miles per 30 minutes of charge at a normal outlet. The only catch is that as of right now, you will have to own a "85kWh Model S" to be able to use the Superchargers, but if you do, the charge is free. Tesla's purpose of installing the Supercharger's is to "encourage Model S owners to take road trips," thus proving that an electric car can go the distance.

If you haven't seen the cars yet, let me tell you about my favorite feature, the doorhandles. I know it sounds crazy, but when you see these cars, notice that the door handles don't stick out like normal door handles. The purpose of this feature is to help make the Tesla the most aerodynamic sedan on the road. As you approach the car with your key, it's recognized by the door handles and they will pop out so you can open your door. I still can't get over how awesome that is.

I could go on and on all day about how awesome these cars are in so many different ways. Tesla has truly outdone themselves and people are eating it up. My hope is that at some point, they will make a more affordable version of these amazing cars so that everyone can enjoy them.

Until then, or until I make my millions, I will simply be staring at the passerby...

No comments:

Post a Comment